Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Upside Down

7 Days ago, about this time, I was settling into my chair amidst 4,000 of my closest friends. It was morning, and my brain was already loaded with new information. I was wired from the mocha I had been sipping on, and my stomach was starting to growl. My attention was quickly waning.

Over the course of the past few hours, my understanding of biblical justice had expanded, and I had learned how crucial each thread of love is within the garment of justice. Little did I know how much the next 45 minutes would change my view of the world.

Richard Twiss, took the stage, and I could feel the Spirit stir. When I was little my mother had instilled in me a love and appreciation for Native American culture. But he was not here to tell me about his culture.   Instead, Twiss described the enslavement of Native Americans by imperious white people.  For the first time in my life, I was not proud to be an American.

Twiss continued by explaining the European doctrine of discovery.  This stated that any land, without allegiance to a Christian government, was empty and void.  On this premise the 13th colonies were built.  The European settlers began to view the natives as savages, and desperately in need of conversion to their brand of Christianity.  Tribes were desecrated in the name of Christ.  New converts were made to believe that Christ could only be worshipped the way of the Europeans.

I began to squirm in my skin.

Questions tumbled through my mind.

The guilt ravaged my soul.  The truth that I am the ‘majority’ settled into my soul. How dare I see the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve as anything but co-equals in the battle against evil! We are all equally sinners, and all given the same chance at grace.

My blue eyes never saw

The pain my white skin causes.

Can I scrape off my skin

or tear the blonde hair from my head?

What if I ripped out my eyes,

Could I ever see the world as you?

Twiss’s words were sharp with truth and pierced my soul.  But through it all Christ shone from this man.  In grace and friendship he said come and know us, “don’t come and paint our church buildings”

For weeks I have asked myself these questions:

How often do I still view other cultures as less than mine, or merely the mission field?

I have even questioned my motive in going overseas.  I have spent thousands of dollars and met some amazing followers of Christ.  I spent time with kids who were dying of aids, and loved on some girls who had never seen white skin.  But doesn’t that make it more about me?

I am still journeying down this path and seeing where it leads.  Will you join me?  What are your thoughts about this? 

3 comments:

  1. Brent and I have come to call short missions benevolent tourism. I don't know if it is right or wrong. It usually does the missioner more than the missionee. And we could all use a little wake up every now and then.

    However, the gospel should be preached. And the kids and girls and women and men need to be loved. But sometimes we should put the money in the hands of those who can do it more efficiently in their own backyards. Then again, sometimes God calls us to go ourselves. Discernment is key. NOTHING is 100% right 100% of the time for 100% of the people. (God aside.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are good questions. I don't think there's a one size fits all kind of answer. But if you keep wrestling with the questions and asking what God would have of you, I believe you'll figure it out one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete