Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Does God want me to be happy?

Does God want me to be happy?

I keep coming back to this question since 5 out of 7 days I am not ‘happy’.  I am loved by the King of Kings and have joy in His arms every day.  He lavishes me with with blessings everyday and I want for nothing.  But Monday through Friday 8am-5pm I hate my life.  I work at a job that sucks the life out of me and so I wonder does God care if I love my job or not. 

I had a conversation with a friend today and it went something like this:

Me:  Does God care if we are happy?

Friend:  Of course God wants us to be happy

Insert long conversation

Friend:  See you are blessed.

Me:  I know I am blessed, but I am not happy.

That is the paradox I am in right now.  I am blessed beyond belief by the gifts my savior lavishes on me daily.  I am even blessed that I have a job and I make good money.  But I am not happy.  Is this happiness just an illusion?  A carrot always out of my reach that Satan keeps me distracted with.  Or is there really something to be said for being happy with your life?  Or is joy in Him all there is?

More questions is all I have, how about you?

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you have heard this, but there isn't anything about happiness in the Bible. Kyle has a habit now of thanking God for the jobs we have, even when they aren't necessarily the ones we really want. I know we are blessed to have income to live the life we have, but it can really be a struggle to work a job you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this is really, really hard. and i think more people struggle with this than admit. i know i do. i've had jobs and seasons i really disliked ... and had to continuously choose to lean into those times and go with them rather than fight them ... till God changed things.

    perhaps there are some other questions implied:

    "Does God want me to be UNhappy?"

    "Is it OKAY to not be happy and still be a Believer?"

    hummm .......

    Ann

    ReplyDelete