Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Packing Light

“We discover what we need when we live without things.  This is part of the value of traveling and packing light as we travel.  Sometimes it’s good for us to need things and not have them.”  Allison Vesterfelt, Packing Light

After three cross country moves you think I would be good at the whole packing light thing.  I thought I was too, until I read this book. 

Packing light Book Cover

Allison has an ability to tell a fun and entertaining story while weaving in how unpredictable life is.  Whether you take risks or choose the safe right, you have little control of the outcome.  As Allison takes you along on her 50 state road trip, she shares the profound life lessons she learned along the way.  When the book came to an end I found myself wanting more.

I have had the pleasure of following Allison’s writing for some time.  and her style of writing is fun and entertaining.  But you always know that the nuggets of truth are coming.  My truth is that I was scared to offer to review this book.  It is way out of my box to review someone else’s work.  But I took a tiny step and asked Allison if I could help. 

Here I am, a mere two weeks later on the other side of that little step.  God has used her book to open my heart to the truth’s he has been whispering to me for a while.  There are too many to list here, but I will be unpacking them (yes pun intended) over the next few weeks.

What is your traveling story?  Tell me about a time that choosing to ‘pack light’ or let go of something, led to something greater.  Everyone who comments on here will be entered in a drawing for a free copy of this book.  Please be sure to use your email address when commenting so I can contact you if you win!

4 comments:

  1. My traveling story is still something I'm working on. For as long as I can remember, people compared me to my sister. Or at least, I thought they were. I believed I was expected to be more outgoing, social, and high energy like her. But I'm starting to let that baggage go and as I do I realize a couple things. First, being my introverted self is not a bad thing. It's how God made me. Second, most of the comparing and judging was coming from me and not others as I had convinced myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been many times when God has asked Jerry and I to step out in faith. But the scariest was when I was pregnant with our second child and he lost his job in Fort Sumner New Mexico. He led us to a wonderful location for a time and eventual led us to our home now. But each time we have moved God has brought wonderful people and memories into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since only two of you responded you both get books! But Lori, I am not sure who you are! Leave your name so I know who to contact!

    ReplyDelete