Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Eowyn

I had the pleasure of three days off this weekend and on a whim decided to have a Lord of the Rings marathon.  On Saturday a friend of mine was telling me how she and her husband often discuss which character they are more like.  While I have often seen myself in different aspects of the different characters, I have never thought I was like one, or ever could be.  As I was watching the first film I decided to ask her who she thought I was and she said Eowyn. 

Eowyn, really?  Isn’t she the one who falls for Aragorn and gets her heart broken?  Oh ok, that sounds like me…So with an open mind I watched the remaining three films and slowly the inner strength and courage of Eowyn began to emerge.  She is a somewhat silent character, who speaks more by her actions than by her words.  She has an inner strength and often finds herself in places where she must lead those around her.  At one point she rides into battle as a man to fight along side those she loves, because she can’t do otherwise.  She was created to fight injustice, to stand strong against evil and defeat the evil that no ‘man’ could. 

As I neared the end of the movie, my respect for this character had grown.  While, I see aspects of her that are similar to me, I do not feel I measure up to her in anyway.  She is however who I aspire to be, a woman of strong character.  A woman whose identity is defined more by my actions than merely by words.  A woman who is courageous in battle and willing to forego my own life for those I love.

Daily I battle against the fear that lurks in my heart.  The road that God has me on seems scary most directions I look at it.  But in reality what is there to fear when death means eternity with Christ.  So what really scares me about the path I am on?  At this point I am not sure.  It could be the fear of the unknown, or even a fear that I am not as strong as others seem to think.  But mostly I fear that my actions will not speak the truth of Christ or that I will not have the courage to speed headlong into battle when I am called to go.  Most importantly I fear the persecution I may face.  That I will not be able to stand up for my Lord when called to do so.

These are my fears…

No comments:

Post a Comment