Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

A Fourth Kind

Wow I just walked out of this movie (A Fourth Kind) about 30 minutes ago and there is so much running through my mind.  This movie is about possible alien abductions.  However, as I sat through the movie I a was appalled how this ‘Christian” woman so quickly jumped to  aliens.  As I watched the film and the learned the fact she did, I saw demonic oppression.  It amazes me that we as humans will make up anything we can just to keep from believing in God or a spiritual realm.  I feel like I could vomit at the depravity of our culture that we are drawn to evil and our curiosity is wasted on searching out evil.  When kids walk away from the church they dabble in the spiritual realm as if it is not real.  Is this because we as Christians don't talk about it?

When I was in the 8th grade someone put a a Frank Peretti book in my hands.  It was called “This Present Darkness”.  To this day this book scares me cause of how real it makes the spiritual realm and how it interacts with out lives.  But angels and demons are real.  daily we are attacked by demons trying to distract us and draw us away from God.  Just this past month I have allowed distraction to draw me away from God.  A friend questioned why following God we have to give up things that give us ‘joy’, if God supposedly loves us and wants us to have joy.  The things in question in my life are some of my favorite movies.  Since I wasn't a believer all my life I have many movies that I probably shouldn't watch anymore.  But i keep them, since I don't want to die to myself and give them up.  However, God brought a wonderful angel along side me today who reminded me that we are called to die to ourselves.  This dying of ourselves is a slow and continual process.  When I came to Christ I had loads of movies that I have since parted with, but some of my favorite I still carry around( even though I don't watch them, cause I know I shouldn't).  Most of these are action movies, with men who rescue a damsel in distress(and are usually shirtless a few times throughout the flick).  On a routine basis I don’t allow myself to witch chick flicks.  For me they just give me false hope and just lead to unhealthy daydreams.  However, God has opened my eyes today to see that these action movies can do the same thing.  It has to do with my heart of why I like the movie.  DO I watch the movie because Will Smith looks amazing shirtless running down the street, or do I like it for the carnage and absolute disregard for human life?  Or is there a good moral plot to the movie(most are a resounding NO on this one).  Do we accept how much movies affect our thinking?  Do we consider this when going to movies?  I try to but chose to ignore the Holy Spirit telling me no…guess I should have listened.

No comments:

Post a Comment